Save a Life – Adopt a Cat During Adopt A Cat Month
The American Humane Association has declared the month of June to be Adopt a Cat Month in an effort to bring awareness to shelter cats all across the country. All year long, there are pets in thousands of rescues and shelters all over the country waiting for a loving home. In spring, many, many kittens join the millions of cats already in shelters. Your perfect companion might be waiting for you right now.
Here are some things to consider before adopting a cat:
1. If you’re thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
2. Find a cat whose personality complements yours.
3. Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
4. Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
5. Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
6. Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
7. Cat-proof your home.
8. Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
9. Be sure to include your new pet in your family emergency plan.
10. If you are considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
You can read more about these tips from the American Humane Association here: http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/programs/special-initiatives/adopt-a-cat-month/
Sadly, many animals in this country are initially loved and then neglected or abandoned over time because owners decide too late that caring for pets is more responsibility than they actually want.
Check out this article to see if you would make a good cat parent: http://www.petag.com/celebrating-junes-national-adopt-a-cat-month/
But what if you can’t adopt? Here are other ways you can help spread the word about Adopt a Cat Month from Petfinder and Pet Adviser.